We added some precisions about the company who processes your information;
We modified the type of data that we collect about you, the use we make of that data and the partners with whom we may share them, so as to make our new business model clearer to you;
We give you more information about what happens to your data once your account is closed;
We detail the types of e-mails that we may send you, depending on your preferences;
We changed the address to which you can exercise your rights regarding your personal data.
Last updated: 2016/09/01
Any information that you provide to us through your use of the Services is controlled by Rakuten Europe S.à.r.l., 2 rue du Fossé, L-1536 Luxembourg, registered under number B136664 at the Luxembourg Trade and Companies Register, with the VAT number LU22375408.
When creating an account on the Services, you’re using Rakuten ID. It allows you to create a set of credentials, which you can use to log into and access any Rakuten services that support Rakuten ID. For the purposes of Rakuten ID, the data controller is Rakuten, Inc., Rakuten Crimson House, 1-14-1 Tamagawa, Setagaya-ku, 158-0094 Tokyo, Japan, jointly with us.
“Rakuten Group” means Rakuten, Inc. and any of its subsidiaries from time to time. For a more detailed description: https://global.rakuten.com/corp/worldwide/.
We collect and store certain information as a result of your interactions with our Services:
- your name;
- your login ID and password;
- your email address;
- your physical address;
- your date of birth (optional);
- your gender (optional);
- the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or mobile device to the Internet;
- your computer or mobile device and connection information such as your browser type and version, your operating system and platform;
- the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from the relevant Service (including date and time);
- your cookie number;
- any offer from our partners you viewed or searched for;
- your browsing history and personal preferences;
- the number of Rakuten Super Points you are credited.
It is your responsibility to update and maintain accurate contact information in your Rakuten account. You can make changes by visiting your account page and entering corrections.
We collect and store this information as a result of your interactions with our Services, mainly in order to confirm and reward your Rakuten Super Points quickly and reliably and to improve your experience with our Services by providing you more relevant and interesting offers.
We also use the information we collect to:
- provide you with the Services;
- provide you with your Rakuten ID account, which enables you to use other services provided by other Rakuten group companies;
- keep our business records;
- communicate with you;
- customise your experience when using the Services;
- analyse how you and other users use our Services;
- improve our Services and develop new services;
- detect and investigate fraud and other illegal activities and potential breaches of the terms and conditions that apply to the use of our Services;
- provided you have opted-in, notify you about offers of products, services or information that might be of particular interest to you;
- if you have consented, contact you about surveys and user groups;
- offer you the opportunity to take part in competitions and prize promotions;
- enforce our legal rights;
- comply with any legal requirements to which we are subject.
We may combine your information with information lawfully obtained from other third party sources and use it for the above purposes.
We send two types of emails to members: customer service emails required to maintain the Services and promotional emails containing special offers, discounts and promotions offered by Rakuten Europe and other Rakuten group companies, if you have consented to receiving such communications.
While customer service emails are necessary to make you benefit from our Services, you may choose not to receive promotional emails at any time by clicking the « unsubscribe » link in any promotional email or by modifying your subscription preferences in your account.
You may also receive promotional emails containing information and special offers from third parties if you have consented to receiving such communications (only in case we offer that possibility on the Services).
We may share this information with carefully selected and trusted third parties, including other Rakuten Group companies and technical and other service providers to us.
We will not sell or rent your personal information to any third party without your express consent.
If you engage in a transaction on an Affiliate Store, some of your information may be shared with this Affiliate Store for the purpose of rewarding you with Rakuten Super Points. When redeeming your Rakuten Super Points, we will also share some of your information with the Rakuten services on which you choose to redeem them. Please note that these services are governed by their own privacy policies.
If lawfully requested, we may also share information with law enforcement agencies and/or third parties in respect of information requests for criminal investigations and alleged illegal activities.
Your information may also be transferred to another company in the event of sale of the whole or part of our business to a third party.
Your personal information may be transferred outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA") to countries which may not have equivalent protections for your data as your country of residence, notably to the countries in which Rakuten group companies are based. We ensure that your rights and freedoms in respect of the processing of your personal data are adequately and appropriately protected and to comply with all legal requirements.
You have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you by accessing your account and, if necessary and justified, have it amended or deleted. You can send us your enquiry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you close your account, we will retain personal information from closed accounts in order to comply with our obligations under applicable laws, collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements and to assist with any investigations we may need to perform.
Otherwise, we will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as long as you have some Rakuten Super Points credited on it and as long it is relevant for the purposes described just above.
Please be reminded that most mobile devices allow you to control or disable location services in the device’s settings menu. We recommend that you contact your mobile service carrier or the manufacturer of your mobile device if you have any questions about how to disable your device’s location services.