Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 3 Reviews)
One of the best most melodic rock LPs of all time
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 05/10/2009 20:13:13
This, the first Steely Dan LP from 1972, is absolutely superb. You8 get the added bonus of David Palmer on lead vocals on many tracks - their best vocalist in my opinion - and also songs from a time before the Becker and Fagen jazz influence took over completely.
All bases are covered here from the slow, beautiful, melodic "Dirty Work" (covered by ex-Firport vocalist Ian Matthews if I remember rightly) to the rumbling dirty rock of "Midnight Cruiser" (covered by GBs Capability Brown as a single and LP track).
You also get their classic second and third singles "Do It Again" and "Reelin' In The Years", though why noboday has thought to include their first (non-album) single "Dallas/Sail The Waterway" on this remaster I don't know as they're as good as any tracks on the LP.
This is your ideal starting point for Steely Dan (followed by their second LP "Countdown To Ecstacy") and if you only buy one Dan LP this must be it.
Now where's that 5.1 remix?
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: OldEnglandsEyes69 on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 01/08/2008 14:17:41
worth the money just for dirty work one of the best albums of all time anybody who does not like this should give music up
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: daizorro on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
1972 Strikes Again
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 12/10/2007 23:13:09
What a year for music 1972 was, from Bowie to T. Rex, a young Elton and Elvis still rocked...and Steely Dan gave us this American Rock/jazz album that would influence many - including Michael Jackson - Billie Jean is 'stolen' from the first track on this album-'Do It Again', and fresh as paint in this re-mastered edition. All the lyrics are printed on the fold-out liner that comes with the CD, reading them is a joy in itself.
The band plays as tightly as the Eagles, the tracks are sung effortlessly and a nice beat and free-running guitars thread their way through your listening experience, re-introduce yourself to 'Reelin' in the Years', one of their chart hits. This is great driving music.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: bobbyspeed on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States