Smells Like Teen Spirit
Walk This Way
Live And Let Die
Vivaldi vs. Vertigo
Master Of Puppets
Rocking All Over The World
Smells Like Teen Spirit.
Walk This Way
I'll Stand By You
Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 1 Reviews)
David Garrett - Rock Symphonies (CD & DVD)
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 30/03/2011 03:53:46
In my youth I was switched-on to Bach by the producer Waldo De Los Rios and his album Symphonies Of The Seventies. Here in the 00s its the flamboyant posturing of poster-boy violinist David Garrett that will hopefully enthuse a younger, more street-cred audience. Strutting his stuff recently on the Alan Titchmarsh Show (I kid you not!) I was taken by the theatrics of it all and wondered how someone like this would be accepted by the folk scene then I thought has anyone seen Seth Lakeman recently? You see its not only just the music that counts to the general public but that sense of showmanship and, dare I mention the words marketing-hype. Well, bring it on, Im sure the folk world is man enough to take it with the inclusion of the folk influenced sounds of Beethovens 5th, Bachs Tocatta and Edvard Griegs Peer Gynt all getting a shout. The ostentatious flourishes of say Andre Rieu (the Classical worlds answer to James Last) are knocked for six here with genuine rock attitude from Garretts gifted fingers and the inclusion of well established, popular standards continuing that theme of folk influences it is on the opening track (Nirvanas Smells Like Teen Spirit no less) that proves an all together different beast turning the melody into an unorthodox wild Gypsy style dervish. Ive long given up the thought process of trying to pigeon-hole my tastes in music but have learned to embrace the wilder excesses of folk and acoustic music as I see it. Perhaps some of you reading this review might be encouraged to broaden your attitudes to include something a little different. If so, then Ive succeeded in my job and I can die a happy man.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: celtic3 on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States