One of the most dramatic military jets of the Cold War period was the McDonnell-Douglas F-4 Phantom. In the 1960s, it provided a much needed replacement for the Royal Navy's ageing Sea Vixens. With the cancellation of the P.1154 project, the British government became involved in discussions with McDonnell in St. Louis on their proposal for a version of the F-4 Phantom that would be suitable for the British Navy and the RAF.
The first three Royal Navy Phantoms were finally delivered to Yeovilton on April 29, 1968. 892 Squadron became 'carrier qualified' aboard the American carrier USS Saratoga in the autumn of 1969, with the Saratoga suffering burnt and buckled deck platings from the higher thrust of the British Rolls Royce Spey engines! In the RAF, the Phantom replaced the BAC Lightning. After an introductory overview of the history of the aircraft, three complete and previously unseen Phantom films are included in their entirety: PHANTOM PILOT (1973, 39 mins) Directed by Arnold L. Miller, this film illustrates a pilot's rigorous flight training
starting out on the basic Chipmunk and following him through the subsequent stages of the Jet Provost, Folland Gnat and Hawker Hunter aircraft before, finally, becoming a fully fledged Phantom Pilot.
Oversight (1976, 25 mins): This was a training film made for the RAF, based on a true story of how, through misunderstanding and bad practice, RAF ground engineers made a fatal error and lost a Phantom.
Low Flying Training (1971, 23 mins): An exciting 'low-level' look at how navigators were trained to fly 'under the radar' and pin-point their targets, sometimes with near-disastrous results!
Special Feature F4 Phantom USA (2008, 13 mins):
An impressionistic overview of the F-4 in American service, including its famed role as a Vietnam 'war horse'
Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 1 Reviews)
OH!! , FOR DARK SEA GREY AND WHITE GLOSS !!!
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 29/01/2009 17:01:23
The first 6 mins or so of this dvd feature the faa f 4 , on land and at sea. Some great ark royal footage , in rough seas . I would have loved a longer section here . Some good raf footage , but then it goes off on a training tangent . Sure the jp , jet provost images are interesting , but hardly in the same league as the smoke and thunder hog . Some nice nam era footage to end and on the whole worth having a look at ,
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: kingfisher11 on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States