Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 1 Reviews)
Billy Connolly - Musical Tour Of New Zealand
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 24/02/2008 06:25:42
Well, it seems all of the musicians on board this recording have taken to heart Mr Connolly's mantra of "Learn to let go...That is the key to happiness." If you're a practicing musician or just want to chill out to sublimely recorded Celtic sounds then you've come to the right place. For those of you like me that have been following our hero's Nation wide exploits can't help but be impressed by the imaginative inclusion of Celtic soundscapes as the backdrop for his diaries from abroad. By immersing himself in his own cultural background and by allowing his public to join him in a celebration of the music this album proves that so called incidental music can find a place in any self-respecting album collection. Of course, Billy has found just the right foil in fellow countryman John McCusker whose compositions make up the majority of the tune writing which it has to be said has every right to be placed alongside Jez Lowe for contributions above and beyond the call of duty to the 'folk' world. Any of these tunes could (and should) find themselves as compulsory performance pieces in a session whilst the production has a deftness of touch that will leave the listener wanting more even if they don't like folk music. With accompaniment from a who's who of the Celtic folk scene including Phil Cunningham, John Doyle and Michael McGoldrick plus the inclusion of the song "Wandering Soul" (performed exquisitely by John's better half Kate Rusby) will leave the listener with a warm glow. The excesses (keyboards, percussion etc) that could so easily have been employed (as on most soundtracks) have been left behind and in doing so John has let the melodies speak for themselves. This recording is a shining example of how to utilise one art form to promote another and needless to say comes highly recommended.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: celtic3 on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States