Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 2 Reviews)
As always, a unique and different sound from the YYYs!
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 26/03/2014 14:08:12
If you're expecting the album to mimic the last - don't!
In the usual YYY flare, the album is very different to the last; It's Blitz was a glam disco soulful wordy epic album with dreamy this and tempo that.
This contains the raw edge of Fever To Tell, has instrumental anthems like those on Show Your Bones and includes a down-tempo uplifting disco beat in one or two tracks too.
My favourite songs by FAR are
Sacrilege (gospel backing choir and lily cole in the vid - OBZ winner!)
Mosquito (sounds very much like Fever To Tell youthful screamage)
Despair (pure anthem with a brilliant instrumental build-up and infectious chanty tune!)
Slave - absolute fave. This is down right dirty and needs to be played on loud to hear the amazing guitar work its magic.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy it as I am a die-hard YYY fan. Granted it may not be as pretentious as it's previous albums, but remember how they started - raw, edgy, sweaty, screams-a-go-go... Glad to see some of this injected into a different sound.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: Craifo on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
2 steps forward 3 steps back
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 31/05/2013 23:11:22
Not sure if I was expecting too much, but after It's Blitz this lacks its infectiousness and drive, and doesn't have the bite or energy of their earlier albums. This seems written with the charts in mind, rather than making what they want and like.
That said YYY at their weakest still makes for an above average album, but only compared to who else is out there making music, but in their own history this is their weakest album. Karen O's voice seems to have been dialed down, as has the force of nature that has been the band at their previous best. Still catchy but that isn't a word I ever wanted to use describing them. Hence the 3 stars. Lacklustre too. If you are new to YYY then start at the beginning and work through their albums, if you have been away for a while then It's Blitz is a better return, and my favorite. NOT BAD BUT DEFINITELY NOT GREAT.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: priceade on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States