Available to own for the first time!!!!!
All You Need Is Love makes it DVD debut as a lavish boxed set containing all 17 episodes of this groundbreaking documentary spread across 5 discs. The series covers the "Story OF Popular Music", encompassing ragtime, blues, jazz, vaudeville, musicals, folk, swing, country and rock n'roll and features some of the major names from the past 50+ years including, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hendrix, Bing Crosby, Dizzy Gillespie, Muddy Waters, Frank Zappa, Mike Oldfield, Tina Turner, Eric Clapton, Bill Wyman and many more!! Frequently described as "THE definitive music documentary" and regarded as much "cult" viewing today as it was upon original broadcast 30 years ago. It was in the mid 70's, at the suggestion of John Lennon, that celebrated journalist and film maker TONY PALMER decided to document the "Story Of Popular Music" and set about interviewing all the major players, past and present, at the time. Even in the 70's this was a monumental task but despite the undertaking the finished project was one that aspiring film makers would look to for inspiration even today. The program was originally broadcast between 1976 and 1981, but since that time it has neither been commercially released or repeated.
Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 1 Reviews)
The Definitive Rock Documentary!
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 31/03/2008 12:58:19
Tony Palmer's 17-part ITV documentary was a work of staggering depth and breadth, which took more than 4 years to create.
In its way it is "The World At War" of popular music. A total of 17 hour-long programmes trace the roots of popular music from Jazz and Blues, through Vaudeville and Music Hall up to Glam Rock and the mid 70s (which is when the series was made).
This means that Punk and Rap/Hip-Hop and 90s brit-pop are absent, but Palmer managed to include just about anybody why was anybody in music up until that point: Irving Berlin, Leadbelly, Memphis Slim, Bo Diddley, The Who, The Stones, The Beatles, Chuck Berry, Alexis Korker, Bowie, Marley, everyone is here!
Beatles fans have to wait until episode 14 Mighty Good, for a thoughtful look at how the Fab 4 were regarded more than 3 decades ago, and less than 10 years since the band broke up.
In all it's almost 900 minutes of digitally remastered joy, which hasn't been seen on TV since Prog Rock was king!
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: Wondermouse on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States