Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 3 Reviews)
New for Old!!!!!!!
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 12/10/2012 14:28:56
35 yrs i have been a fan of ELO, have to say i think this is excellent, love the re-workings, because to me this sounds like the ELO of the 70,s recording a really really good demo session at the height of their of brilliance, Lynne really was and is a very talented man.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: jackandaaron on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Not remastered, re-recorded...
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 09/10/2012 22:25:52
Have to disagree with dickiep.
This is a fantastic album. Of course they're a bit different from the original, that was the intent. This was how Jeff Lynne had wanted them to sound, but didn't have the time to achieve back in the day, just as he said on the BBC Documentary.
Definitely a must-have.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: Dervheid on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Originals are better
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 09/10/2012 15:11:40
This was advertised as a reworking of the old hits with today technology, supposedly to give a brighter and all round better sound than the originals. To answer this they just don't. Please don;t get me wrong i a massive ELO fan and so wanted this to be great but, how do you improve on greatness?. Would you want Paul McCatney to re-record some Beatles hits and put them out saying they are better now than then probably not. The album kicks of with Mr Blue Sky, yes its OK one thing Lynne still has a great voice and is a great musician, however considering the original was a 48 track masterpiece it just sounds a bit hollow compared to the version we all know. The best tracks that do work well are the earlier recordings like can't get you out of my head, Evil Woman and showdown, infact after watching the BBC4 documentary and hearing Lynne and Richard Tandy perform a lot of the songs on piano and guitar perhaps taking a completely different slant on the hits may have been a better idea than trying to do better than the original. Although ELO was Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy provided great keyboard and arranged the strings section, Bev Bevan was always one of the best drummers in the world and in there hey day Kelly Groucett not only provided Bass but also supported Lynne on the vocals, I suppose that's what you do miss, although Lynne can do wonders with his voice. So don't buy this expecting a exact copy of the ELO hits, because its not, however it is still worth investigating as a fan, however as a new person to ELO stick with he originals.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: dickiep on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States