In 2013 Sir John Eliot Gardiner made his second appearance as conductor of the traditional New Year's Concert in the tradition rich Gran Teatro La Fenice di Venezia together with La Scala in Milan and San Carlo in Naples one of Italy's most famous opera houses.
Traditionally, the popular Concerti di Capodanno not only bring in the New Year musically, but also mark the opening of the new opera season which in Venice, contrary to general custom, begins with the calendar year. At the same time they give the opera house's resident ensemble, the Orchestra e Coro del Teatro La Fenice, a perfect opportunity to show off their musical prowess.
On the programme of the 2013 concert, in addition, of course, to brilliant gems from the work of this year's bicentenarian Giuseppe Verdi, was Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's Second Symphony in C minor, Opus 17 a relatively rarely performed piece that is undeservedly overshadowed by the Russian romantic's last three works in that genre. The fiery gallop from Gioachino Rossini's French opera Le siège de Corinthe rounded off the program, in which Italian soprano Desirée Rancatore and Albanian tenor Saimir Pirgu took over the Verdi arias amongst them Violetta's Sempre libera and of course the brindisi Libiamo ne' lieti calici from La Traviata.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States