Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 1 Reviews)
Boxtops or Dan Penn fan? If so you'll love this ace album
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 18/04/2008 14:41:40
Here's another place that you get to do that Boxtops/Dan Penn vocal comparison to prove Penn was the vocalist on most of The Boxtops' tracks, especially the well-known singles. Dan and Spooner wrote or co-wrote many of The Boxtops songs, with Penn producing, and here they include some of their own versions (like "Cry Like A Baby" and "I Met Her in Church") along with a some other excellent songs of their own and others. If Penn wasn't the voice, as well as producer, of The Boxtops, then I'll listen to all my Alex Chilton albums in one sitting and that would be real punishment dude.
The concert starts with two excellent and oh so familiar tunes in the form of "I'm Your Puppet" and "Cry Like A Baby" (both Penn\Oldham compositions and on The Boxtops first and second LPs respectively, the latter also admirably covered by James & Bobby Purify though it could even be Penn on vocals there too). How many people have covered this besides James & Bobby Purify? Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, Sandy Posey, Sam & Dave, Dionne Warwick, Elton John & Paul Young, to name but a few though none surpass Penn's own version on his 1994 album "Do Right Man".
Regrettably in my opinion "Cry Like A Baby" in this stripped-down version does suffer somewhat from the lack of that excellent and evocative sitar sound on The Boxtops' single version. It's just so much a part of the version of the song I know best that I totally miss it - the only track here that I would say just isn't quite up to the "original".
Next is "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man", co-written by Penn and Chips Moman, also from Penn's album "Do Right Man". It's yet another slow and soulful ballad which is followed by the more up-tempo and gospel-like (unsurprisingly) "I Met Her In Church" (covered by The Boxtops on their third album "Non Stop"). Next it's back to the slow, soulful stuff for "Lonely Women Make Good Lovers" and "It Tears Me Up", the latter again from Penn's "Do Right Man", then things lighten and speed up a little with "You Left The Water Running". Next the awesome "Dark End of the Street", of which the ever-modest Penn says that his version is not the definitive one. Perhaps best equal with James Carr's then Dan?
I could go on through every track but to be honest there's nothing here rating less than 4/5*. It really is that good. Buy it before it's deleted.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: OldEnglandsEyes69 on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States