Last Updated: April, 8th 2021
Rakuten Europe S.à r.l., the company operating the www.rakuten.co.uk website (“Rakuten”) is part of the Rakuten Group, which includes the affiliates and subsidiaries of our parent company Rakuten Group, Inc., based in Tokyo, Japan. More information about Rakuten is available at https://global.rakuten.com/corp/about/company (“Rakuten”, “We”, “Our” and/or “Us”).
This Cookies Policy describes what cookies are used on the Rakuten and other sites that link to this Cookies Policy (the ''Sites''), why they are used and how you can control their use.
Please read this Cookies Policy carefully.
1. What is a cookie?
When you navigate on the Rakuten, we collect some data, notably about the operating system, browser or device (computer, tablet or mobile phone) that you use, the location data (notably parts of your IP address) or also data related to your interactions with the Rakuten or the Affiliate Store content (visited pages and bought products, ads on which you clicked,…).
These navigation data are collected via cookies or other similar devices, such as « pixel tags ». In this policy, all these devices are designated as « cookies ».
2. What is the purpose of cookies and who places them?
Cookies may have different purposes, notably:
- the improvement of your navigation on the Rakuten and the provision of services that you have expressly asked for (for example, the authentication to your account,…). These are called « functional » cookies ;
- the allocation of your Rakuten Points based on the purchases that you made on an Affiliate Store. Those are “necessary” cookies without which we can’t allocate you the Rakuten Points that you earned;
- the measurement of the audience of the Rakuten in order to improve its performance. Those are called « analytics » cookies.
- the display of targeted advertisement and personalization of the content presented to you. These are so-called "advertising" cookies;
- sharing buttons on social networks. These are so-called "social media" cookies.
These cookies are either directly placed by us, either placed by a partner (web analytics solutions’ companies, advertising agencies and social networks notably).
3. What are the cookies that may be placed by us?
We place several cookies with the following purposes:
- To evaluate and optimize the performance of the website;
- To store the information of the user in order to provide the user’s account features;
- To secure the website and to optimize our marketing campaigns
4. What are the cookies that may be placed by our partners?
Our partners may directly send you cookies that they operate and control. The emission and/or use of the cookies by these third parties are governed by their own policies.
4.1 Necessary cookies
These cookies are used to authenticate you when you go to an Affiliate Store and be certain that Rakuten Points are assigned to the right user account. Therefore, if you reject these cookies, you will no longer be able to earn Rakuten Point as we won’t be able to track your transactions with our partners and therefore to credit your Rakuten Points. Therefore, if you reject all cookies, you will no longer be able to earn Rakuten Points.
Those cookies are the following:
- Rakuten Advertising
- Commission Junction
- Impact Radius
4.2 Analytics cookies
Those are the cookies that allow us to know the use and the performances of the website, in order to improve its functioning:
- Rakuten Analytics Tracker (RAT)
- Google Analytics
- Google Analytics Audiences
- Google Tag Manager
4.3 Advertising cookies
Those are the cookies that allow us to choose in real time which ad to display on the Rakuten or on third parties’ websites, according to the contents and services that you have consulted before or to propose you products and contents which may interest you:
4.4 Social networks cookies
- Facebook Customer Audience
- Facebook Connect
5. Uninstalling cookies
6. Changes to the Cookies Policy
We can modify the cookies policy at any time. As changes may occur, please check this information periodically.
If you have any request or concern, please send us your request at: https://rakuten-help.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb