Spencer Tracy (a 1955 Best Actor Oscar® nominee for this film) plays World War II veteran John J. Macreedy, who keeps his own counsel about why he's come to Black Rock and who keeps his wits about him when confronted with threats and violence. John Sturges (The Great Escape) directed
Robert Ryan, Walter Brennan, Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin are among the town's thugs and other denizens.
Commentary by film historian Dana Polan
Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 3 Reviews)
Spencer Tracy classic
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 11/08/2009 09:59:18
Hollywood legend Spencer Tracy stars as a WW2 veteran arriving in a small American town looking for a Japanese farmer, who has mysteriously vanished. As he gets deeper into the mystery he discovers that the odd townspeople headed by villainous Robert Ryan, know more than are letting on. Great suspense!
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: nikinoonoo on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
brilliant thriller .
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 29/07/2009 23:08:14
Spencer tracy plays a one armed man who wants to deliver a medal to kamoko who's son died in the war. Tracy quickly discovers that kamoko is dead. All the locals are shifty when kamoko is mentioned. The heavies in the movie are played by three screen legends in lee marvin, robert ryan and ernest borgnine. Through the film the heavies are either probing or needling tracy. Tracy beats up borgnine in a classic scene in the bar. Remember that tracy's character is one armed and yet the scene is credible. In the second half of the film tracy is in fear of being taken out and not on a date! The film rattles along, is short and goes fast. A credible thriller which will live long in the memory.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: athlonekid on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 31/05/2008 06:56:13
This film is a mini powerhouse!
Stunning and imaginative photography with a powerfull intro and a class cast set the screen alight.
Spencer Tracy is superb as the guy who wont be pushed out of town.
Ernest Borgnine is manic along with a young Lee Marvin,who is also on form.
The vistas of the hick desert township are very graphic and you can really emphisis with Spencer Tracys character as a voice-alone.
Buy this and enjoy!
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: filmgoer on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States