Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 1 Reviews)
Jim Moray - Sweet England
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 23/02/2008 13:30:45
Well my son, it has to be said - what a corker! I'm talking about Jim Moray's debut album. From the twin fiddle opening to the introduction of his gawd blimey vocals on 'Early One Morning' and the wafting keyboards with its space-age backdrop you can just tell this is an album that will excite (and hopefully) wake those 'folkies' at the back of the bar who profess to be die-hard traditionalists. I think you can safely say that in Jim the folk world has probably found a saviour for the younger generation. The lyrics may be the same as those we originally learnt at school but transported in an ever-fruitful exploration of the musical accompaniment he has a true commercial and contemporary grasp of the situation. Joining an illustrious roster of artists such as Bob Johnson (Steeleye Span) and the recently re-invented June Tabor, his youthful ears have an uncanny knack of picking up on the Gothic quality inherent in traditional lyrics. It may not always have appeared that we Brits had a glorious heritage of song (far too twee by half) the inclusion of 'Early One Morning' and 'The Week Before Easter' are given a somewhat brutal dressing. On another track 'April Morning' the idea of advancing the beat before you expect it proves that a little thought goes a long way. On 'The Seeds Of Love' we are treated to a little bit of dramatic overkill with an orchestration that would have John Barry spluttering into his beer and, dare I say it, but I think the British tradition has found a spokesman who isn't frightened to knock it into shape and give it a damn good shake while he's at it. From the production to the excellent sleeve job this is an album that should be on everyone's wish list for Christmas.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: celtic3 on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States