Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 1 Reviews)
Eliza Carthy - Angelicana
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 23/02/2008 13:06:42
The cacophony of sound that starts this album proves there is still a wealth of musical excursions yet to be tapped and utilised by the folk scene. If like me you couldn't get into Eliza's last CD then let's embrace and welcome back a talented music force to be reckoned with. In addition to the full-bodied Appalachian sounding drone of her fiddle the distinctive vocal tones appear at times to come spitting out from the speakers. It appears this young lady has embraced the Oysterband initiative of presenting English 'folk with attitude' and I'd personally like to think it's because she has found the niche she so rightly needed for her own (and her audience) stability. Musically the album shows off to great effect her choice of highly skilled collaborators including John Spiers and John Boden who are already heralded as being the next 'big thing' and deservedly so. Their energetic performance on 'Worcester City' coupled with Donald Hays pounding percussion lends the lyric of the song the dynamic impetus it so rightly deserves. OK, so some of you cynics might feel that songs such as 'Just As The Tide Was Flowing' may have been done once too often but if a good song stands repetition there must be a reason for it. In her sleevenotes, Eliza name checks several sources including Joseph Taylor (and her Dad amongst others) as inspiration for her own performance. When you believe in and execute so passionately with respect that which has gone before you are seriously in danger of starting a revolution. I just hope that is the case and any youngsters reading this review will feel inclined to delve into our rich traditional heritage. Sorry about this but someone's just pointed out that I haven't said anything negative in this review. Well, I'm still not sure about the 'punk' shock of white hair and studs in her cheek she currently sports but then that's a matter of visual taste - or am I just getting old?
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: celtic3 on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States