Latest Product Reviews See All Reviews (Total 1 Reviews)
Jim Moray - Low Culture
Posted by Play.com Reviewer, 25/10/2008 07:52:38
The first thing that strikes you about this album when you've finished playing it from beginning to end is that each track is 'treated' differently. Starting with the gentle use of kora and thumb-piano to colour "leaving australia" the song acts as the prelude for many fascinating excursions as how to combine contemporary techniques with traditional culture. From the string indulgence of bella hardy's "three black feathers" to andy partridge's "all you pretty girls" with its melodeon/horn section and seriously sing-a-long chorus each number proves a gem. But wait just a minute though, my thoughts have strayed to the track i'm listening to at the moment for surely that's none other than steeleye (circa storm force ten) on "i'll go list for a sailor". Funny that, how the mind plays tricks on you when you're least expecting it. Well dammit more power to moray's overused elbow utilising as he does; guitars, mandolin, double bass, drums, concertina and verse violin (whatever that is - although i've got a good idea) and that's only the half of what proves a real musical journey. If you're a self-confessed 'folkie' (much like oneself) then indulge your senses and let rip with a bit of punk it'll wash over you like that advert for shower gel on tv...ok, minus the scantily clothed woman but what the hell (?) it's my dream. The unusual use of david owens old style book covers to illustrate each song is a master-stroke and don't forget to check the final track (a hidden one at the end of "valentine" timed at approximately 6:00mins) about adam ant...it's a wonderfully understated song that should really get a better hearing.
Note: This Review was made by Play.com customer: celtic3 on Rakuten’s Play.com on the date shown.
Shipping cost £ 1.50 to:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
UK Free shipping
Free UK Shipping - Orders are shipped from Canada, please allow 10 - 15 working days for delivery.
Shipping cost £ 3.00 to:
Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Shipping cost £ 4.00
- Bahrain, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
- The Pacific
- American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa
- Shipping cost £ 6.00 to:
- Central America and the Antilles
- Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands
- South America
- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Shipping cost £ 1.00 to:
Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, United States